The third season of the modern Latvian national selection for Eurovision will kick off today with the first heat being held live from Riga. Supernova is back after the successful results of its previous winners Aminata and Justs at Europe’s favourite TV show.
A total of 11 candidates will compete at today’s heat:
- Linda Leen, “Who Is In Charge”
- Katrīna Cīrule – Blood Runs Quicker
- Anna Zankovska – Rage Love
- Lauris Valters – Magic Years
- Edgars Kreilis – We Are Angels
- First Question – Naked
- Miks Dukurs – Spiritual Priest
- Pikaso – U (can Keep Your Cools)
- Crime Sea – Escape
- Franco Franco – Up
- Rock’n’Berries – Feel the Love
From today’s competing acts, only 4 of them will go through to the semi-final, set on February 19. As in previous years, two qualifiers will be decided by a professional jury panel, while another two semifinalists will be chosen by the audience. This year, however, it will be the very first time Spotify data will help to select a Eurovision entrant as half of the public outcome will be decided according to the number of plays registered on the on-line music platform.
The professional jury for the first heat of Supernova 2017 will be made up of Guntars Račs, Kaspars Roga, Dons and DJ Rudd.